I don’t feel like working today, so here goes.
- North Face Parka or similar. Jacket of choice for the Azn “Gansta’s” in Queens.
- Biker Jacket – Schott is the original. Though it’ll take a few years to get the right look. You may find something more fashionable somewhere else
- Modern Biker Jacket – Or similar
- Bomber, or any other leather, such as Tyler Durden’s other leather coat, or a duster if your legs get cold
- Duffle Coat
. Single Breasted, Toggle Coat. Never wore one, but they look very warm, and very mod.
- Pea Coat
– Very warm, very popular today. Always Double breasted, with a large lapel, collar for added warmth. Modern versions are 1/2 length.
- Great Coat
Hard to find, basically a full length pea coat.
- Single Breasted Trench
– Looks silly in my opinion. Recently seen on season 4 of Mad Men.
- Traditional Trench
Double breasted complete with cuff straps, shoulder straps, and belt. Modern versions can be 3/4 length
or even 1/2 length. Note on wearing, make sure to tie the belt
- Topcoat or Single Breasted Very Warm and done in Tan/Brown/Blue/Black/Gray. Traditionally felt, trendier versions are made of woven material and 3/4 length
. Sometimes this version is called a car coat.
Note on Weaves:
- Felt is not a weave at all, but is traditional for Pea Coat, Duffle, and Topcoat
- Gabardine is durable.
- Herringbone also durable and is popular these days.
- Houndstooth is good for college professor sport coats and other topcaots/pea coat types
- Corduroy is good on sport coats too.
- Tin Cloth, or waxed cotton. Available from makers like Filson.
Honorable mention, ie, not that warm:
- Shooting Jacket Want it so bad after seeing American Gangster.
- Tweedy Sportcoat
A staple of Ivy League
- Blue Blazer brass buttons and more traditionally a spring thing.
- Work Jacket
Causal and looks good, same for gas station jacket
- Gardener Jacket I didn’t know what to call this, but I saw it recently and thought it looked cool
- Denim Jacket Not a good idea unless you know what you’re doing, because you can look like you got stuck in the ’80s. http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/dt61t/its_that_time_of_year_lets_see_what_winter_coats/).
- Waxed Cotton
- mfaers talk about what coats they’re wearing
- Buy a Classic Coat – Valet. web magazine
This post inspired by a healthy dose of cynicism and ithika.